Department of Bio-Technology (Permanently Affiliated by Anna University ,Chennai)
Biotechnology has made significant advances in recent years and emerged as a frontline area of research and development, with an overwhelming impact on the society. Once Dr.A.P.J.AbdulKalam shared his experience when he was in Anna University, Chennai. He said that a patent was obtained for a new molecule discovered from an herb as an anti-cancer drug. This came out of the fusion of two great minds. One was a Biotechnologist and the other was a traditional siddha medical practitioner. The Department of Biotechnology was established in the year 2002.
Milestones of our Department
• Undergraduate Programme(B.Tech) started at 2002 with 40 seats
• Intake was revised to 60 seats in 2005
• Postgraduate (M.Tech) started at 2008 with 18 seats
• Accredited by NBA-AICTE New Delhi in 2008 and 2013-15
VISION OF THE INSTITUTE
TO MAKE THE INSTITUTION UNIQUE OF ITS KIND IN THE FIELD OF RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES IN THIS PART OF THE WORLD
MISSION OF THE INSTITUTE
TO IMPART HIGHLY INNOVATIVE AND TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE TO THE URBAN AND RURAL STUDENT FOLKS THROUGH “TOTAL QUALITY EDUCATION”
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT
TO MAKE THE DEPARTMENT OF BIOTECHNOLOGY, UNIQUE OF ITS KIND IN THE FIELD OF RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT ACTIVITIES PERTAINING TO THE FIELD OF BIOTECHNOLOGY IN THIS PART OF THE WORLD.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
TO IMPART HIGHLY INNOVATIVE AND TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE IN THE FIELD OF BIOTECHNOLOGY TO THE URBAN AND RURAL STUDENT FOLKS THROUGH “TOTAL QUALITY EDUCATION”.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs)
1. The student will be able to pursue higher education in India/abroad in Biotechnology and its related fields by taking up competitive exams like GATE, CSIR, TANCET etc.
2. The student will be able to come up with solutions for any scientific or technical problems related to Biotechnological industries/institutes.
3. The student will be able to plan and conduct experiments in modern biotechnology and allied field laboratories including interpreting the significance of resulting data, reporting results and writing technical reports.
4. The student will be able to get familiarized with professional and economical issues in biotechnology and foster important job related skills such as communications and experience in working as a team that will help them to become good Entrepreneurs.
PROGRAMME OUTCOMES (POs)
Engineering Graduates will be able to:
1. Engineering knowledge : Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis : Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions : Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems : Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage : Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society : Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability : Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics : Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work : Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication : Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance : Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning : Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES (PSOs)
1. Higher education preparedness : Demonstrate an ability to appear for National level examination to pursue higher studies. Demonstrate practical and theoretical knowledge essential for pursuing higher studies.
2. Biotechnology industry oriented preparedness : Demonstrate an ability to identify careers in biotechnology, domain like Pharmaceutical, Food Industry etc, and skills required to work in a biotechnology laboratory or manufacturing facility.
Centre for Research
• Approved as Centre for Research by Anna University, Chennai on 08.02.2012
• Number of Research Supervisors - 4
• Number of Research Scholars - 18 (Full time – 6; Part time – 12)
• Ongoing Sponsored Project - 1 (DAE-YSRA-BRNS)
• Completed Sponsored Projects - 14
Genes associationof our department will carry out active research with illustrations from different spectrums in the field of Biotechnology. The association will organize special guest lectures regularly with eminent resource persons from industry and academia. Yearly event on Ora’15-National level conference will be organized under this banner.